Everyone can help themselves to keep healthy and well during this busiest time of the year for GP surgeries and hospital emergency departments.
Here are some hints and tips to stay well over winter.
- wear shoes with traction to help on slippery surfaces.
- dress warmly – being cold can make you tense and hurry
- give yourself plenty of time to get to where you need to go so you can take your time
- keep your hands free to support balance and avoid carrying heavy items
- wear gloves and keep hands out of your pockets.
If someone you care for is unsteady on their feet, you can find lots of resources to help on our falls webpage
Edinburgh Health and Social Care Partnership
The City of Edinburgh Council
Edinburgh Carer Support Team
- 0131 536 3371
- open on 27, 28 and 29 December and from 3 January
- 0131 622 6666
- open 27 and 28 December (10am to 4pm) and from 3 January
Carers UK helpline
- 0808 808 7777 (free to call from landlines and mobiles)
- open Monday to Friday 9am – 6pm including Christmas day, Boxing day and New Year’s day
Samaritans is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year – you can call free anytime, from any phone on 116 123 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The Edinburgh Crisis Centre is open 24/7. If you are experiencing a mental health crisis and need to talk to someone, you can contact the friendly confidential team on freephone 0808 801 0414, by text 07974 429 075 or email email@example.com