If you are over 16 and spend at least 35 hours per week caring for some who has an illness or disability, you may be entitled to a carers allowance payment.
To qualify, the individual you care for must receive one of the following benefits:
- a personal independence payment to support daily living
- the middle or highest rate of disability living allowance
- constant attendance allowance at/above the normal maximum rate with an industrial injuries disablement benefit
- constant attendance allowance at the basic full day rate with a war disablement pension
- Armed Forces independence payment
Claiming Carers Allowance can affect the benefits the person being cared receives.
You may not be eligible for Carers Allowance if you earn more than a certain amount per week.
How do I apply?
To find out more about carers allowance, or to apply, call us on 0131 536 3371 or fill out a self referral form.